Friday, April 3, 2009

simulated teaching pt.2

For pre-reading stage, I started with giving some input on the definition of character, character classes and their functions and also the definition of character personality traits. I did that so the students will not get confuse on what the lesson will be. The activity for pre-reading activity was to identify in what categories the characters in the play belongs to, either as major characters or minor characters. The worksheet is provided for the students to write down the answers. Later they are to present their answers to the class and compared with others answers. I believe in doing so will help them to think critically to defend their answers if other classmates have the other answers. In literature, the answer is correct if we can provide with evidence(s) from the text. As for the while-reading stage, I prepared a worksheet for them. The activity was for them to match.
Back in school days, what I experience was quite the same, except there was never be a set-induction stage. I think, the teacher came to class and straight teaching the content. Later they will give lots of exercises. I don’t think it was good or bad experiences because all they did were to prepare students with the examination, as the way education in Malaysia is examination-oriented. The strength in my simulated teaching is the set induction because the class starts to concentrate to the lesson from the set induction level. They were asking questions and responded to my questions and other classmates’ answers. In order to maintain the strength, the following stages’ activities must me interesting and interactive. I gave them the opportunities to express their thought. What I discovered about my weakness in the teaching was my own language proficiency. I sometimes stopped for a while to think for words to say and I do have interferences from the first language. In future, I have to become more proficient in English so the lesson will not be interrupted. For now, I think I have to slow down the pace when I talk. When I talk on fast pace, I’ll run out of words before I could comes up with more. If I slow down, I can buy some times to comes up with more what I should say, plus, students will not feel the pressure to catch what I’m trying to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment